Safety and Environment
There are major chemical and radiological hazards at Dounreay which, if not properly contained and managed, could cause serious harm to people and the environment.
Reducing or eliminating these hazards in a way that protects people and the environment - both today and in the future - is the task of Dounreay Site Restoration Ltd, as the main site contractor to the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.
Working safely is integral to the successful delivery of the site closure programme.
We want everyone to go home in as good health as when they arrived for work.
That means working tirelessly to build safety into everything we do as individuals and as a company.
It's important, too, that we seek to minimise the impact of our day-to-day business on the environment in aspects such as carbon emissions.
Our activities have the potential to impact adversely on communities who live and work around the site, so it's also important we protect their environment and amenity from harm.
This section of the website contains more information about:
See our News Room to read the latest news stories.
- Dounreay wins safety and environment awards for the second time - October 2012
- Dounreay wins prestigious safety and environment awards - July 2012
- Safer clean-up for workers wearing airfed suits - June 2012
- New film reveals Dounreay's natural beauty - June 2012
- Top safety award for Dounreay - June 2012
- Award recognises high safety standard at Dounreay - March 2012
- PM's praise for Dounreay workforce - November 2011
- Safety record reaches new high - November 2011
- Leak proves the value of award-winning safety standards - November 2011
- NHS looks to nuclear industry for safety lessons - October 2011
- Dounreay passes milestone in worker safety - October 2011
- Dounreay wins prestigious safety award for second time - October 2011
- Radiation around Dounreay well below safe limit, says report - October 2011
- Dounreay's environment showcased on The One Show - October 2011
- Reprieve for thousands of shellfish - September 2011
- Bee romance gets Dounreay workers buzzing - August 2011
- DSRL wins prestigious safety and environment awards - July 2011
- Safety record passes 12-month milestone - July 2011
See Dounreay TV to view the latest film footage.